Thursday 2 May 2013

Shahid Afridi irks PCB, could face disciplinary action

Shahid Afridi has irked the Pakistan Cricket Board for giving an interview to the media after his omission from the 15-member squad for the ICC Champions Trophy in England, following which the Board is contemplating a disciplinary action against the flamboyant all-rounder.

Afridi told the 'Jang' newspaper that it was captain Misbah-ul-Haq who didn't want him in the team. "It's the captain's decision to drop me," he told the newspaper.

"It's no big deal for me if a captain doesn't want a certain player in the team," he added.

Under the PCB code of conduct, players are not allowed to comment on selection matters and last year experienced all-rounder Abdul Razzaq faced a disciplinary action by the Board after blaming the national T20 captain Mohammad Hafeez for dropping him for the semifinal in the ICC World T20 in Sri Lanka.

A PCB source told PTI that Afridi's interview would be reviewed on Thursday after which it would be seen whether he has violated the players' code of conduct or not.

Afridi, one of Pakistan's most experienced all-rounders with 7,201 runs and 348 wickets in one-day internationals, said he would soon make a comeback into the side.

"I am still better than most and I have not given up on playing cricket. I know I still have a few years of cricket left in me so I am confident I can make a comeback," Afridi said.

The national selectors dropped Afridi after he went wicketless in his last 10 one-day internationals.

But in the interview, Afridi said poor form hit every player and he was not worried about it. "When I was not getting runs they talked about my batting now I have started to score runs and similarly I will also get back my bowling form as well."

No comments:

Post a Comment